Life according to Zack in the England Leeds Mission

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dear Family,

Dear Family,

Well I figured I might as well try and write at least once before I leave the MTC. Even though I'll probably be gone by the time this letter gets here. Thanks for all the letter, it has been great to hear from everyone. It's funny, I usually get a letter every day and I'm the last one to know. Everybody rushes to check the mail before lunch and they're all upset that I have one. It's funny cause I could go either way but it upsets everyone else. So keep 'em coming. I'm not really sure what all to write because I'll answer all your e-mails once a week. Oh well I'll figure something out. The MTC is really great though., the first day super long, I think we were all awake for like 40 hours that day. There are 33 of us here and it's great. i know everyone by name and friends come easy and friends come quick. I already told you about my companion Elder Gardner and we live with our district leader Elder Horner and his companion Elder Erickson. We are in the Helaman district and our teachers are Brother Loynes from Wales and Brother Goble from Liverpool I think. It's funny because most of the teachers went on missions to the British Isles and they are all from here. The other weird thing is that everyone in the MTC is American. I hope it’s not like that in the field. Classes are amazing and everything you could ask for. The teachers are funny, they tease us about being American, we tease them on being British, and best of all the Spirit is always here. The first couple of lessons we had talked all about the work in England, especially how a ‘Second Harvest’ has been prophesied and yet to come. Brother Loynes tells us that we have the authority and prophecy that we can baptize millions. That’s written in our district room. I believe we can do it. It will take a lot of prayers though : ). We went on a ‘finding’ activity last Friday which meant they took us street contacting in Manchester. Brother Loynes had told us there were no morals left in Britain and the people can tell and they are looking for something to fix it. Boy is that apparent when you hit the streets. Everybody smokes. There were probably only 3 people we saw who weren’t. When we asked some peole what they believed in they said drinking and smoking. It’s hard to watch. Edler Gardner and I fasted and prayed the day before if we would be led to people who were prepared to be taught and we did. We talked to maybe 10 pople that day and gave everyone some sort of church literature, whether it was a pamphlet or a Book of Mormon. We got the numbers of 2 people and left a good impression on everyone we met. It was really hard at first, but it got easier after the first one. Th way they teach us to talk to people reminds me about that ‘Robots’ movie, “See a need, fill a need.” All we’re doing is finding out what’s wrong with people and then helping them out. It’s amazing what people will tell you about themselves right there on a street corner. I think it’s because they’re too surprised and taken aback to come up with a lie, so they just tell the truth. The biggest problem we had that day was switching to teaching them something. As soon as they stopped talking about themselves they stopped listening. It got better since then, but it is still a hard thing to do. Well now I know why all Luke took pictures of was the food. It’s the only time we’re allowed to use our cameras! Oh, and it’s really good. No news on any weight gain, I gain and drop at least 2 lbs. before and after every meeting. You should see Sister Clegg’s face when I tell her I’ve dropped 2 lbs. during personal study. I told her “Bet you didn’t think I was that good at studying.” Well every day I feel more and more like I’ve got a special work to do out here. I don’t have enough paper to tell you all about it, but when I get home I’ll have figured it all out and tell you then. No sign of Luke yet but word on the street says I’ll be knocking doors with hin on Friday. But once again I’m the last to know. Oh well I guess I’ll find out soon enough. Today we went on the church history tour, it was cool. The farms out here are amazing, I took lots of pictures but don’t know how/if I’ll send them today. It’s about time to go get a haircut (even though I don’t need it) and then e-mail. We might even get to play some futball!! Well, keep an eye on all the animals for me, especially Lindsay and Kyle. Well God lives and watches us and will do whatever we ask as long as it's His will. We've pretty much got it made! Love you all. --Elder Rowley
p.s.
Mom- Swans come very winter to the MTC pond
Dad- Did you know every swan in England is property of the queen?

No comments:

Post a Comment