Life according to Zack in the England Leeds Mission

Sunday, October 17, 2010

One question--one day--at a time


Elder Zack and Elder Black


I'm glad there are so many exciting things going on at home. I'm glad you got to meet Elder Black too, he was one of my heroes in the mission. We got along great and loved the work as well, he is definitely my example on how to go home from a mission properly. He was not trunky at all and it was amazing, so hopefully I can do that too. I'm glad to hear that the trucks are getting fixed, we live right next to some garages and sometimes I peek in to see what's what. its good your learning more about it so you can teach me when I get home and we can fix the new problems that have arisen! I can't believe that the hunt is getting so much shorter, that's really lame but oh well you have to take what you can get. I'm sure it will be a fun time for you and Luke to spend some time together. Thanks for the pictures of Rashae and Curtis, I really look forward to meeting him and spending a lot of time with them. Can you get me their address? I think it would be fun to write them a letter, I'm so excited for them. Well this week was an unusual blast! From Tuesday to Thursday all the leadership in the mission met in Leeds which meant that I got to stay in the flat with an Elder from Gateshead who is on his second week in the mission. It was so much fun and we worked really well together! I wonder if I'll get the chance to train someday. I remember what you wrote me in that letter when I was having a hard time getting trained and I think that will be an exciting adventure. I think I'm focusing on making things an adventure because I know I haven't got long. I talked to a member yesterday who said, "How many days do you have left?" I told him I had no idea and he said that from 544 days he counted his mission. I asked him why and he said that if you don't keep track and take advantage of every day you have left you miss it and its gone. I was really surprised and decided to count how many days I have left to serve the Lord and I've got 608. Today is my four month mark, I'm glad and sad that its been this long. I don't want it to end and realising how short it is really helps me take advantage of it. This week we had a lot of finding and not a lot of success but just before a tea appointment we were knocking and found 3 new investigators and they are all former investigators from a long time ago. One of them is an 11 yr old girl who used to read the book of Mormon when she was really little. Her Mum said that is how she learned how to read when she was like 3. I don't know what it is but I think that they are a family that I was meant to find and teach on my mission. It is difficult to explain but I already have a very sacred feeling about them, we shall see what it means. Well this week has been a good one but a short one. I'm learning a lot and trying to do my best to be a better person than I was yesterday. I'm taking it one question at a time, I just wish I was taking more pictures along the way! Haha, well I love you Dad. Thank you so much. Talk to you next week.
Elder Rowley


The pumpkins look great! For our next p-day we're gonna get the whole zone to go pumpkin picking and carve them out at the church. I'm really excited, I will feel like I'm back at home! Haha, the weather here is changing very quickly. It is getting quite cold and a lot of missionaries are getting sick but I've been taking a multivitamin and some vitamin C to protect me. I think there is vitamin D in the multivitamin as well so I should be good. Elder Wheeler is doing great and we get on really well. He's really humble and really relies on the Lord because I think he misses his family a lot. So if you can keep him in your prayers that would rock! The work is going really well, it all started with an adventure that started on Monday night. I was completely knackered after P-day and came back to the flat to find 12 missionaries staying there. There was leadership conference this week and for some reason some dumby sent all 12 missionaries to our flat. I wasn't feeling good so got in my bed as to avoid any tom foolery. But then about 5 of them walk into the room singing a hymn and suddenly stop and tackle me. If there is one thing missionaries love it is to tie up younger missionaries. This had happened to me before and I put up a fight but Elder Christensen cheater so I was proper hog tied. This time I just wanted to go to bed and was frustrated at the lameness going on so I was confident that there was no way they would tie me up. I held them up pretty well for a while but eventually caved in when I started getting clastrophobic from 6 Elders sitting on my chest. When it ended everyone looked and there was blood everywhere. I guess I'd gotten a rug burn on my elbow and didn't notice so it got all over everyone and the flat as well. Serves them right! But I had a fever that whole night and was afraid I wouldn't be able to work the next day but I knew I could make it and me and Elder Woodside (from Maine) had a great 3 days together. It was really a blast and I didn't feel that sick after a while. The funny/sad thing is that when everyone got back from the leadership conference our whole flat was sick for like 2 days. Not me, I felt fine enough to work but everyone else was shattered. Oh well, that just means that this weeks in gonna be that much better! Well Mum, I love you and love your letters and your e-mails. I'll talk to you next week. Love you loads.
Elder Rowley

No comments:

Post a Comment