Date: Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:32 AM
Dad,
So let me tell you about Selby. First all start with our flat. The address is 21 Abbey Wharfe, Canal Road, Selby YO8 8AG. Our flat is massive and me and Elder Hilliard have it all to ourselves. It is a lot like the area and hasn't been taken care of the way it should so we spent all morning cleaning. It was really fun. Mom would be proud! So Elder Hilliard is from Utah, originally California and has been on his mission for about 6 months. He is great, strong testimony, desire to do missionary work, and a big heart. So the area is made of of Selby itself and loads of small villages that surround it. We are on bikes which is a blessing and a curse. The weather has been amazing this last week so we both got really tan but then the bikes broke and took 2 hours to fix. Its beautiful countryside though and I'll be sure to take lots of pictures for you. Because the missionaries didn't really know what to do they just spent all their time knocking and didn't rely on the ward (I'll get to them in a minute). Knocking is probably the least effective form of missionary work and though they tried their best they only had one new investigator all of last transfer and nobody has been to church in a month. There are 3 people in our teaching pool and I've only met one of them so far. The saving grace to this area is the ward. Dad they are the best ward I have ever met on my entire mission. They are the sole purpose this is even an area. We are doing our best to get to know them and that's what is going to turn the work around for us. Missionaries have been leaving this area after 3 months so didn't get a chance to meet the ward as well so they don't really trust us. They all do amazing missionary work though! At church we got 3 referrals and loads of less-actives to see. It is the greatest spirit I've felt at church for a long time. So right now we're in the rebuilding phase and its pretty exciting. There is a recent convert here named Mike Moore who is my hero. He's a ward missionary and already gave us 5 or 6 families to go see. When I first got called here I thought, "Man, I'm gonna have to waste 3 months of my mission there before I get called to a real area" The more I have thought and prayed about it though I feel like this is exactly where I want to be. We are really all on our own out here and it's just us and the ward. I have such a strong desire just to tear into the work here. I'm never been so excited to just work my butt off! I think I'm going to write the mission president to make sure I can stay here for a long time because I know that's what this area needs. I love it. This is still the happiest I've ever been on my mission and I'm so excited for the next few months. I'm really glad to hear that things are still going well at home and especially about Lindsay's testimony. I love you Dad. Thanks for everything.
Elder Rowley
Mum,
Selby Selby Selby. Well its been 4 days so I've already street contacted half of the town so its gonna be an excited stay. Just kidding. So yup we are on bikes because Selby is so small and there are loads of little villages around that need to gospel as well. This area has been dead for a while though. Last transfer they only found one new investigator and nobody has been to church in a month. So my work is cut out for me. Elder Hilliard is amazing. He has a lot of faith and a big heart and I'm excited to work with him. He's only been on his mission for 6 months so he didn't really know how to work this area. I don't really know how to work this area but I'm sure the Lord with help us out! The ward here is the amazing part. Fast and testimony meeting was all focused on missionary work! We talked to like 5 members about people to see (because we had 3 lessons last week) and got loads of people to visit! I'm really excited to be here and to become a part of the ward. Missionaries haven't been staying in Selby very long and it has been difficult on the ward to trust or even get to know them. I think I'll be here for a while which is fine by me. I'm to the point that I'm just doing what I'm told by the Lord. I don't have any set requirements or things that I feel I have to do on my mission for it to be a success. I feel like a complete tool.....to the Lord!! I'm really excited. Plus our flat is massive!! Well I'll try and send you some pictures, if the computer will let me. Xanda got baptised as well!!! Elder Smith has some pictures for me so that's exciting as well! I love you mum. Thanks for everything!
Elder Rowley
The last e-mail
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment