Life according to Zack in the England Leeds Mission

Monday, March 12, 2012

And I thought I was going somewhere where I could only teach in English

Mum,
Wow there is a lot in that e-mail you sent! I am still
tripping out at the pictures of Sam and Kyle at all the temples. That
must be really really exciting, I'm glad she's enjoyed her visit. And
the softball tournament in St. George must have been a blast as well.
I'm glad to hear that Lindsay did a good job. I showed Elder Rosen
the pictures and asked him if he recognised it, he laughed. Did you
know his family is moving to Provo by next year. That'll be pretty
interesting. I'm so excited for Kenzie! That'll be really good for
her. The great thing is that she could go pretty much anywhere,
Spanish speaking, ASL or who knows what. Oh I have a neat story that
you should pass on to her this week if possible. So I got a letter
from her awhile ago and she said that I should try and learn some
British Sign Language which is completly different from American Sign
Language. So last time in Leeds I learned the alphabet from a member
who is from Bradford where there is a semi-large deaf community. Then
in North Shields if you remember we used to teach a girl and we also
taught her sign language with a member. From the member I learned all
sorts of usefull missionary sign language. So last week I was sitting
on a bus looking at a map and found excuse to move seats and talk to
someone. I looked over and asked him which stop I needed to get off
at to get to a specific street. He pointed to his ears and mouthed,
"I'm deaf." Haha. It was neat when I started signing to him my name
and such! He looked at me suprised and signed, "How do you know sign
language?" So I explained (or attempted to explain) that I was a
missionary and such. He said he knew the church and had some deaf
friends from Bradford who were members and he's met with them a couple
of times and has even been to church. It was neat that the only signs
I knew were things I could ask him about the church and the Gospel.
It was a pretty neat experience and just funny how the Lord uses skill
and such that I thought wouldn't have done me much good. Funny story
huh? So try and get a hold of Kenz and tell her about it, I still
smile just thinking about it! So ya as usual we had some great
experiences this week and it was a great testimony that the work is
true. I love it here and things are picking up more and more and
more. I just hope we get some baptisms soon! We met a Portuguese
woman last week and we were able to teach her with a member who
actually spoke Portuguese which is always a blast. We also had
appointments in French and Romanian. Come to think of it we taught
few lessons in English. Funny how things work! And I thought I was
going somewhere where I could only teach in English. Things are great
and I love it. Thanks for everything mum, I'll talk to you next week!
Love you.
Elder Rowley

No comments:

Post a Comment