Life according to Zack in the England Leeds Mission

Monday, December 6, 2010

The world was about to end


Elder Jensen warming up

Mum,

We had so much snow this week! Well, only about six inches but the world was about to end for people here. All the trains, buses, streets, schools, and shops closed down. They said don't go out unless you absolutely had to. So we did, it was great! I'm amazed that they didn't hold church in Newcastle but they do get a lot more snow that we do. I'll be sending a Christmas package soon and we're going shopping so keep an eye on the bank account. Driving lessons should only be about 20 quid so you wont' have to worry too much. Other than that the work is going good, even though this was a bad week. Unfortunately I lost focus mid-week and we suffered ever since then. We would still work but not hard enough for this area or for our missions! It was disappointing to say in the least and it was not fun to report at the end of the week. Not because we got in trouble or yelled at but because all our leaders care so much about us that they know our potential. It's crazy how when you let up just a little bit things fall apart. It is sad to admit but all we can do is learn from it and push forward. We are planning on having an amazing week though and instead of just hoping things turn out we are gonna work until they do. I'm learning a lot on my mission about life and about missions, unfortunately some of it is learned the hard way. Oh well, the ward and the missionaries and the Lord are forgiving and loving so that is all the more motivation to push forward. We are gonna try and have a bit more fun as well, I can tell we are getting stressed so don't be surprised if Elder Jensen writes home next week about how I randomly hit him with snowballs. I have also been writing church websites on the inside of foggy buses while we travel! It's the little crazy things we do in life that keep us all sane. So as far as stories go or amazing spiritual experience this week the most we had was our Zone Development Meeting. It snowed the whole time so they just let the meeting go on and on and on. It was frustrating because the church was in our area so we could have worked but no bother. It was quite spiritual and really fun too. It is great to have a zone that loves each other and wants to succeed. We also have massive testimony meetings at the end of them which are always good, even though I'm not comfortable bearing my testimony. It was a spiritual feast to say in the least! So this week was a challenge but like I usually say in my letters we will just have to work twice as hard this next week. I don't know what it is but everywhere I go people never come to church! It is the biggest struggle for me in my mission so far, I think Satan knows that as soon as they come once they will be sold, so he does all he can to keep them from coming. Oh well we have got God on our side we just have to use Him. We are still having fun though and are as happy as ever! Elder Jensen and I get on great and we tease each other all the time. It is a joy to work with him. Well I'd better get on with our P-day if you want a Christmas present! Well thanks so much mum. I got your letter from Thanksgiving and it made my day. I've got some pretty crazy cousins and I'm exciting to see them all again. Well I'd better go, give everyone in the ward my love. Have they had you report on me in church yet? That would be soooo weird. That makes me feel really old but I'm not. I play with all the kids toys when we teach people with children. Haha, well I'll talk to you next week mum. I love you.
Elder Rowley


Dad,


Well like I told mum this week has been a bit disappointing. It was mostly my fault is the worst problem! I just lost focus during the week and wasn't working as hard as I should have been. Don't get me wrong I wasn't a complete slack or waster as they say but I wasn't working the way that you taught me to. It is sad and frustrating but oh well I guess we can just look ahead. Our District Leader Elder Parham was frustrated too, mostly because he knows how good we could be. We have been working so hard and finally making progress but we just let up a little bit and we lost sight of our goals and things caved. To top it all of nobody came to church again! The funny thing was we sit down and look at each other a bit disappointed and said oh well and laughed a bit to de-stress when all of a sudden! Guess who walks in and sits down on the stand? President Lindley and his wife. It was just disappointing that we couldn't have had people there to show the President what we can do in this area. Oh well, the best thing about a mission is that you always have one more week. Don't get me wrong though we did still have a really fun week, just wasn't as rewarding as we'd hoped. We have been having fun in the snow even though everything grinds to a halt in this country. Instead of plowing roads here they just put down a load of grit which is like salt and rocks and stuff. It doesn't do much good and its really funny to see how people panic in the snow. We had one lady almost yell at us for being out in it. She was really angry that we were out. But with the snowballs and the chavs throwing snowballs we had some fun. We had a turkey bowl last week and played American football in the snow and boy was it fun. It is good to hear all the fun stuff happening at home. I'm excited to see the Crookston girls again. There are so many little kids here than remind me of them all, it is lots of fun. That is a definite testimony that we don't always see the benefits of our missionary work and that has definitely been one of the highlights of my week! Well I'd better get on, we are going Christmas shopping today and I'll hopefully mail some stuff home next week or this week. I'm taking driving lessons on Tuesday and it has almost been 6 months since I drove last! Wish me luck! Haha, love you Dad. Don't worry about me and Elder Jensen we are in the Lord's hands and he takes care of his own. We'll have plenty of miracles to report next week so we'll talk to you then! Love you loads.
Elder Rowley

No comments:

Post a Comment